How can you install tvOS beta? In this tip we explain how you can install the public beta for Apple TV and the beta for developers.
install tvOS beta: this is how it works
Apple regularly releases software updates from tvOS for the Apple TV, which can initially be tested as a beta version. How do you install a beta version of tvOS as a public beta tester, and how does it work for developers?
TvOS 13 is currently available as a beta, both for developers and public testers. In tvOS 13 you will find a newly designed home screen, easier switching between users and much more. You can read more about the tvOS 13 betas in our separate article.
How can I install the tvOS public beta?
We start by installing the public beta of tvOS because this is the easiest. It only takes a few steps:
- Go to the public beta webpage on the Apple website and log in with your Apple ID.
- Sign up for the beta.
- On the Apple TV, go to Settings> Accounts. Make sure you are logged in with the same Apple ID at the iTunes Store and iCloud.
- Go to Settings> System> Software Updates.
- Enable the option Receive public beta updates.
- You can now download the latest beta and by clicking on Update software. You must agree to the conditions of the beta program.
Is the beta update not visible? Then try this: log out with your Apple ID and then log in again. Then hopefully you will see the beta update.
How can I wirelessly install the tvOS beta for developers?
Installing the tvOS beta for developers is a bit more time-consuming. You can choose whether you want to perform the installation via a cable or via WiFi.
Installing the tvOS beta via WiFi works as follows ( Apple TV 4 and newer):
- Download the configuration profile for the version of tvOS you want to test on your Mac. You can find this on the Apple Developer download page.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Apple Configurator and Xcode on your Mac.
- Make sure the Apple TV is turned on and connected to the same WiFi network as your Mac.
- In Xcode, go to Window> Devices and Simulators and then click on Devices
- On the Apple TV, go to Remote controls and devices, and then click Remote app and devices.
- In Xcode, select the Apple TV in the left-hand column under Discovered.
- You now need to copy the code shown on your Apple TV into Xcode. Then click Connect to connect the Apple TV.
- Open the Apple Configurator on the Mac and select the Apple TV.
- If you are doing this for the first time, click on Prepare and follow the steps on the screen. If not, first click on Add> Profiles to add a new profile. You can also drag a profile from the Finder to the Apple TV icon.
- Then go to Settings> System> Software updates to see if there is a new beta waiting for you. You can install this right now.
Another way is to install a profile via the Apple TV itself:
- Go to the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Go to General> Privacy.
- Move the cursor to Share Apple TV analysis or Share with Apple, depending on the tvOSversion you are using.
- Press the play button and choose Add profile.
- Enter the link of the profile that you want to add. You can find this in the Apple developer portal.
How can I install the tvOS beta for developers with cable?
There is also a slightly faster way, where you connect your Apple TV to your Mac via a cable. For this, however, you need a special cable that you can purchase through the Apple Store. This only works with the Apple TV HD ( Apple TV 4 ), because that is the only device with a suitable connection on the back.
Then take the following steps:
- Download on your Mac the tvOS beta software restores image for the fourth generation Apple TV. You can find this on the Apple Developer download page.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your Mac and open iTunes.
- Also, install the beta of Xcode 11 on your Mac. It is available via the Apple Developer download page.
- Connect your Apple TV with the cable to your Mac. It will now be visible in the bar at the top of iTunes. Select it.
- Under Summary, click Restore Apple TV while holding down the option button on your keyboard.
- Then select the installation file that you downloaded in step 1. The installation starts now
- After the installation, you restart Apple TV and you have to activate the tvOS beta via the internet.
If you have one of the older Apple TV models, you cannot install a beta for that. Apple TV 3 and older do not use tvOS, but run on a separate operating system. No beta versions appear for this.